My mom and I ran the Painter's Half Marathon this morning. I always love the way I feel after I finish a race. Exercise really is wonderful for my happiness. I did not prepare properly for this race and I paid the price during the race and now. The last time I ran was on Thanksgiving. I do have reasons for this....I do not enjoy running on a Treadmill for long distances and I don't like to be outside when it is cold. Lame excuses, I know.
When the race started I felt heavy. It was like my feet were ferrous and the earth was magnetic. This lasted until almost Mile 3. Then there was an aid station and that gave me a boost of motivation. I drank Gatorade and that helped me (during the TOU Half I only drank water and after I felt so light headed and dizzy afterward). From Mile 3 to Mile 5 we ran on a trail by a muddy river and behind some enourmous homes (which kept my mind off the race). Then up some hills (and I sang my heart out during that time).
A lot of this race was on trails and there were a lot of ups and downs. I felt like I hit a wall around Mile 8. I could not take a deep breath. My chest and lungs hurt so bad. Then my hips and knees hurt. My mom was about a block ahead of me. She looked back to see how I was doing. She started walking backwards. I looked at her face and ran to her. When I got to her I asked her to stay with me. I did start to cry (just a little). She told me to take some deep breaths.
Darwin and the kids were at Mile 11 and that was such a welcoming sight. I got a boost of energy. It is nice to have support. My mom and I mostly walked the rest of the way (because of me). I feel bad that ruined her time. I don't know what I would have done if she wasn't with me though. I wanted to quit.
I think there are a lot of things that make running for me enjoyable. There are some very specific things that I am especially grateful for during this race.

#3 Taylor Swift. I love all of her songs and will press replay on my iPod. I always feel good when I am listening to and singing out loud to Taylor Swift.

#4 Gatorade. I normally don't drink Gatorade while I am training but it sure made a difference in the way that I felt when the race was over. My body hurt but I did not feel sick and dizzy.




7 comments:
Great job Jen! Maybe one day I will do it too. Trav loved your ferrous/magnetic comment by the way.
Nice work Jen! That is so awesome of your mom to stay by you. You guys are awesome. Hope you are feeling well today. Give those cute little ones a big hug from all of us here. Love and missing you all.
We did IT! Thanks for encouraging me to sign up. It was fun to have the 3 of us cross the finish line together. Makes all the hard work worth it.
Way to stay in there. I guess thinks aren't so tricky anymore, but sometimes there has to be something besides gravity holding your legs down! Good luck in May - I hear it's sold out.
Way to go! It is great that you are able to set a goal and accomplish it along your cute family. You are a great example of hard work and determination especially to your little ones. I hope the soreness goes away quick!
WAY TO GO JEN! THAT IS AWESOME! I AM SO WANTING TO START RUNNING AGAIN! CAN'T WAIT TILL I HAVE THE BABY SO I CAN HOPEFULLY TRAIN FOR A 1/2 MARATHON, I THINK THAT'S ALL I WOULD BE ABLE TO HANDLE. WHAT A GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!
Good job!! I know how hard it can be to run on the crazy hills down here, but you finished and that's is such a great accomplishment!!
Post a Comment