I always imagined what it would be like the night before school started. I imagined a quiet night, dinner, reading, baths, a father's blessing for Jensyn, family scriptures, family prayer, and then off to bed. Well, that's not at all what happened. Violet was still in NICU and I was still a patient at the hospital. I was supposed to be a patient until Tuesday morning at 9:00 AM (the same Tuesday morning as Jensyn's first day of school). I told my nurse that my daughter was starting kindergarten the next morning. I wanted to be at the hospital with Violet and I wanted to be getting Jensyn ready for her first big day of school. The nurse was very understanding. She told me that I needed to be with Jensyn. So I was discharged from the hospital. I would still be going back to the hospital but as a "boarder" since Violet was still a patient. I was able to go home and read to Jensyn and say a family prayer. Grandma Nancy had been with Jensyn and Hurley since I delivered Violet. She had the kids bathed and ready for bed. We only had an hour to spend together before I needed to back at the hospital to feed Violet. I was a heart wrenching moment to leave but I am so grateful that my mom was able to be there with them.
The next morning I fed Violet and then left so I could get Jensyn ready for school. Darwin and I got home to find that Jensyn was dressed and had already had breakfast. I was able to do her hair and then we had our family prayer.
Here is my big five year old. So excited!

Now Jensyn and Oreo.
Saying good-bye to Hurley.
At her new school.

Darwin followed the bus and then took some pictures and walked her to her classroom. I didn't go due to the fact that I had just had Violet. I am sad that I missed out but I am glad taht Darwin was able to go with her.
She's back! The bus dropped her off right in front of our house!
I was so emotional and exhausted and elated (might as well stick with adjuectives that start with E). Now to start a new normal life.
Jensyn had quite the welcoming when she was done with school. Grandma Parker came up to see her. Uncle Darrin was there to mow our lawn (but I am counting him in on it). Grandma Nancy was there and so was BABY VIOLET!!!! I think Jensyn was happiest to see her baby sister.
She had a wonderful first and second day of school. Then she was ready to be done. I think she liked being away at first but then it became hard on all of us. She felt like she was missing out on the things that was happening at home. She shed a lot of tears during the first few weeks of school. I was saddened that it was not everything that we thought it would be. I talked to her teacher about the problems. She said that maybe Jensyn wasn't ready to be in school. I never thought I would hear that. Her teacher suggested sticking it out for a month and if there was no improvement than maybe we should wait a year.

I was so emotional and exhausted and elated (might as well stick with adjuectives that start with E). Now to start a new normal life.

Jensyn had quite the welcoming when she was done with school. Grandma Parker came up to see her. Uncle Darrin was there to mow our lawn (but I am counting him in on it). Grandma Nancy was there and so was BABY VIOLET!!!! I think Jensyn was happiest to see her baby sister.

She had a wonderful first and second day of school. Then she was ready to be done. I think she liked being away at first but then it became hard on all of us. She felt like she was missing out on the things that was happening at home. She shed a lot of tears during the first few weeks of school. I was saddened that it was not everything that we thought it would be. I talked to her teacher about the problems. She said that maybe Jensyn wasn't ready to be in school. I never thought I would hear that. Her teacher suggested sticking it out for a month and if there was no improvement than maybe we should wait a year.
Luckily, after three weeks things were so much better. Jensyn stopped crying at school (for the most part). She started making friends and she loved learning and coming home and teaching Hurley everything. At her last parent/teacher conference her teacher said, "What can I say about jesnyn? She is every teachers' dream. She gets along well with everyone and all of the students want to be her friend." I was so proud of my daughter. I looked down at her to see her grinning from ear to ear. She loves to sing, "I like school and school likes me, I'm as happy as can be. I like school and school likes me. LIKES ME!"


2 comments:
This post was so sad, and cute at the same time. I am glad you did a new post. Now maybe you will find some time to do more... Miss and love you all.
Reading this post brought tears, some smiles and laughter. I am glad that Jensyn is enjoying school, and love when she invites me to share luuch with her. She has grown up so much. We are so blessed that everything turned out well with Violet. So thankful for priesthood blessings.
Post a Comment